Due Back...

Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become. -C.S Lewis

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Well, this has been a month of memoirs! I love a good memoir.

Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush. Pretty good. It was kind of tough to go through 9/11 in so much detail, but of course it was a huge event in their administration so it's to be expected.

Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir
by Cara Muhlhahn. Not as many birth stories as I would of liked. It was more like "this is my life, I just happen to be a midwife". Although I will admit her life is pretty interesting.

Ciao, America!: An Italian Discovers the U.S.
by Beppe Severgnini. This was so interesting and funny. How fascinating to see America through the eyes of a foreigner. I have to say he was quite fair and not critical in his judgments.

The Way I See It: A Look Back at My Life on Little House by Melissa Sue Anderson. When I saw this at the library, the girl in me who watched every Little House episode at least twice had to get it. How it got past editors though, I don't know. It mostly recapped entire episodes where Mary played a important role. Also there was what can only be described as an "ode to Obama" in the middle of it. Weird.

Her Mother's Hope
by Francine Rivers. Very good, just like all her books have been. Can't wait for the sequel.

Spells by Aprilynne Pike. Very good, I think I liked it better than the first in the series. Again, I can't wait for the next in the series.

The Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker. Hmmm..not my favorite of his. There was so much violence in the book, I felt like I cringed all the way through.

Mount Vernon Love Story : A Novel of George and Martha Washington by Mary Higgins Clark. Very cute story! Also very well researched so you learn a lot of history.

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle by L. J. Smith. Not too bad, but not good enough that I wanted to read the sequels.

1 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

I didn't know Francine Rivers had a new one...I'll have to add it to my list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home