Due Back...

Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become. -C.S Lewis

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

If my 2010 reading had a theme so far, it would be Jane Austen!!

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Of course it was good, but not my favorite of hers.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I found the coolest edition of this book at Sam's Club. It had side notes throughout the book which gave additional information about the time period, Jane Austen's life, and sometimes just fun opinions of the editors. Loved the story too!! Of all Jane Austen's heroines, I related to Elinor Dashwood the most.

Persuasion by Jane Austen. LOVED IT!!! After Pride & Prejudice, this would be my favorite by Jane Austen. When Captain Wentworth hands Anne that letter?? Has to be one of my favorite literary moments!

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange. Take P&P and Twilight, mix them together and you get this story! Very interesting, if odd, story.


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
by Seth Grahame-Smith. Just as weird as the title sounds, but funny.

A Grief Observed by C.S Lewis. This was the journal he kept after his beloved wife of only a few years died. Very raw, very heavy. He works through incredibly tough questions that most of us would be afraid to ask.


Weapons of Mass Instruction
by John Taylor Gatto. This book was awesome! Don't read this if you enjoy the status quo.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows. At least three people recommended this book to me, and I'm so glad I finally read it! Though epistolary
stories are generally not my favorite, this book makes it work. I saw shades of Anne Shirley in Juliet and I learned quite a bit of WWII history! I had no idea there were inhabited islands in the English Channel! Definite postmodern undertones though.

Witch and Wizard by James Patterson. I was drawn to this book more for the dystopian theme, than the fantasy aspect. I have to say that the makings of a great story were here, but James Patterson really kept it dumbed down. Just like his Max books, the characters are shallow wisecracking kids that belong in a comic book. It's almost like he is writing a screenplay instead of a novel.

Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickam (Sophie Kinsella). This wasn't a bad story, but it lacked the "funny" that I love about her Sophie Kinsella books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home