Due Back...

Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become. -C.S Lewis

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Even MORE Jane Austen related books...

Letters to Her Sister Cassandra and Others by Jane Austen. There was some very interesting stuff in this book, but 80% of it was pretty boring. I loved the parts when she mentioned her books or characters, and the parts she talks about dresses and fabric.

The Family Fortune by Laurie Horowitz. This was a modern re-telling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. I thought the characters were pretty true, but I thought the actually love story was lacking. There was no tension between them, and that is one of the things that make Persuasion so good.

Possibilities by Debra White Smith. This was another modern re-telling of Persuasion. This was also written by a Christian author, and I really liked that. Although, there is no letter at the end! How can it be Persuasion without a letter?? I do like how both writers advanced her age by about 10 years, because 27 isn't really considered "past one's bloom" anymore and I think that was an important aspect of the story.

Northpointe Chalet bye Debra White Smith. This is a modern re-telling of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. I really liked this book, it was cute. Debra White Smith has written one for each of Jane Austen's books, and I definitely plan on reading the rest.

A Visit to Highbury by Joan Austen-Leigh. This book was written by Jane Austen's great-grand-niece. It is a spin-off of Emma, but involving much lesser characters and introducing new ones so it still seemed original, and good.

The Blue Cotton Gown: A Midwife's Memoir by Patricia Harman. Very interesting memoir. I thought it would be stories of delivering babies, but instead the stories were more about general health care (and often TMI for some readers!) She also writes about the financial struggle to keep a medical practice afloat, which is a side of medicine that you often don't see.

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen. This was very good, one of my favorites by her. I also loved how there was a little overlap with characters from some of her other books.

That Summer by Sarah Dessen. Not too bad.

Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick. I would have to include this book in the "trying to copy Twilight" category. That being said, I still liked it and there was enough suspense and weirdness to keep you turning the pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home