Due Back...

Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become. -C.S Lewis

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Usually when we go to the library, Jeremiah and I take turns staying with the kids in the children's section while the other goes up to the adult floor. Last week, Jeremiah dropped us off while he took care of something at work so I didn't get to the adult section. Instead I grabbed grabbed some young adult books. I specifically looked for Newberry winners.

The Giver by Lois Lowry. This was sort of A Brave New World for kids. I liked her style of writing, very simple and to the point. Although that might of been intentional to match the content.

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink. Why had I never heard of Caddie Woodlawn before?? I seriously can't believe I have never heard of this, and (to my knowledge) there hasn't been a movie made. If you enjoy Laura Ingalls, you will enjoy this! This will definitely be a book Sadie gets when she is older.

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle. This is one of the books about the Austin family. I just learned that Madeleine L'Engle just died last month. I look forward to reading more of her many books.

Belles on Their Toes by Frank B. Gilbreth and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey. This is the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen by the same authors. I read -and loved- Cheaper by the Dozen a long time ago and have been meaning to read this one. These books are hilarious! The movie with Steve Martin does not do these books justice, in fact they share little more than the same title.

Trees of Michigan and The Upper Great Lakes by Norman F. Smith. The boys and I have been doing a lot of tree identifying on our walks and I just wanted to read up a little bit more.

I also finished House by Frank Peretti an Ted Dekker. The back said "supernatural thiller", which I generally enjoy. It was a supernatural thriller for sure. I had to keep reading just for the sheer fact that it was so weird that I had to know how the heck it was going to end. It wasn't really one of my favorite Peretti books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home